In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

Sunday, December 05, 2010

What if it was your daughter?

While playing a game on facebook (Backyard monsters. Excellent game actually. Love it to bits), a 12 year old girl contacted me for a "truce". I spoke quite kindly I think so she started to want to chit chat.

"At your age, your parents may want to know who you talk to on the internet. Please let them when you talk to strangers and let them read your messages from time to time if you can," I cautioned.

"Thanks, I'm very carefull."

That made me think of something else though....

-----

My friends from my field of work (they're old enough to be my aunt) were concerned that I live with my significant other after only a year of being a couple.

"Would you like it if that was your daughter?"

I said I'd be fine with it. After all, my significant other is 34 years old. That didn't change their minds though.

After the short exchange with the 12 year old though, I started to wonder a little though.

"Living together changes the expectations," they said.

Dear readers, what are your thoughts on this?


------------

More on Backyard Monsters:

"Backyard Monsters is a good game. This shouldn’t surprise anyone familiar with Casual Collective’s track record as a publisher, but it’s still surprising given how far above and beyond expectations the game goes relative to the Facebook platform. Backyard Monsters plays better and looks better than Nintendo DS games sold at retail. To release a game of this caliber for free on Facebook is a real achievement." - Gamezebo

6 comments:

savante said...

All depends on the maturity of those involved :) You made the choice together and it seems to be the right one.

Legolas said...

If you have a daughter like my housemate, please don't ever let her leave home.

Jaded Jeremy said...

Yup, it all depend on maturity of the person.

William said...

So far so good.

quicksilverlining said...

i'm a big fan of letting kiddos make their own mistakes. the biggest failure of parenting, i've observed, is the inability to know when to stop.

so, be there for them, but let them make their own mistakes. arm them with knowledge, but not with values. if you did the first part right, then the second one should flow naturally.

unlike cheeses, humans don't mature wel in general, anyway.

Musang said...

i'm with quicksilverlining on this. it's the opportunity of making mistakes. and make sure that from every mistake, a lesson is learned.