In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Cooking together

HJ: "I'll cook the eggs -You handle the vegetables, okay?"

Me: "No prob. Hrmm. Cos lettuce, cherry tomatoes, wild rocket... I think I can make a salad."

But we didn't have salad dressing. Not that I could eat most salad dressings. Anyway, I had to make my own with ingredients around the house.

Me: "I have olive oil but no vinegar..."
HJ: "No vinegar please! Don't like that stuff."
Me: "Okay, time to google recipes for salad dressings with olive oil. With no vinegar."

I found a quite few really. Most had vinegar, but fiddling the the Boolean search commands yielded recipes without vinegar.

Me: "This one has adds salt, pepper and garlic... but its for a pasta salad."
HJ: "Maybe its better to be light on the garlic since we aren't using pasta."
Me: "This other recipe has lemon... and so does this one. And this one. And this one."

But I didn't have lemon. So I settled for olive oil a garlic, salt and pepper.

HJ: "Sparingly please! We can add more to taste later. ...Er, are you using the flavoured pepper powder?"
Me: (chopping garlic) "Yes... unless you want to use the peppercorns you bought."
HJ: "Yes please... I'll crush them for the omellete and for your salad too... Can use your Himalaya salt ah?"
Me: "Why not? It's all we have anyway."

I put the minced garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil, then added half a teaspoon of the pink salt.

Me: "Seems like a lot of salt? I put even less than the recipe even, how odd." (stirs thoroughly)
HJ: "Here's the pepper, take how much you need... so little ah?"
Me: "Sparingly right?"
HJ: "Ah, right!"

I dip a bit of salad leaf in to try a bit.
Me: (Not much taste?)

I dip another salad leaf, making sure to get some peppercorn.
Me: "... ah, that's not bad. The salt didn't mix in the oil though. And it could use... lemon."
HJ: "Go buy from the sundry shop downstairs lah. Consider getting lime so we can make lime drinks sometimes."

So I go downstairs to buy a lemon. Or a lime.

At the sundry shop,
Me: (No lime or lemon as I expected... but there's something else I could use..."

Back home,
Me: "I'm back! No lemon or lime though, but I have got a substitue!"
HJ: (cooking) "What's that?... oh!"



Heh.

-------------

It actually worked out quite well. Well, maybe a bit more lemon flavour would have been better. :)

8 comments:

Koala Express said...

lolx... making salad looks fun from u two. u all only had salad?

Antinous said...

marital blisssssssssssss.............

Bravebear said...

>.<"

Legolas said...

Somehow I thought about Hugh Jackman whenever I see Lipton Ice Tea now.

Jaded Jeremy said...

I was cooking omelette embedded with prawns. We had that and salad with rice. Was filling!

Gratitude said...

all that fuss for a salad? lolz
+Ant+

William said...

half a teaspoon is a lot!

jason said...

Er... might as well just drink it? :p